Have copy. Also free on net.
46 Cadaveric femora from male and females western european patients form birth to late adolescence (but only 1 in 6-9 yr age group).
Spateholtz transparency technique with Prusion blue injection and histo or barium (micropaque) and micropradiographs.
No gender differences upt ot 14.
5 PHASES OF BLOOD SUPPLY
- Vessels penetrating lateral head/neck running horizontally
-Vessels from the ossified metaphysis/shaft (mainly medial) crossing line of future capital physis
- small and inconstant supply from ligamentum teres.
-Metaphyseal vessels crossing region of furture physis (mainly)
-Lateral epiphyseal vessels
-None from ligamentum teres (all atrophied)
3)Intermediate (4- 7 years)
-Lateral epiphyseal vessels only
-Growth plate becoming established and metaphyseal vessels disappear
-no contribution from lig teres yet.
-tight grouping of vessels in lat head
--Lateral vessel + lig teres
Lig teres vessel now penetrate the ossific nucleus an anastamose with the "far awa" lateral epiphyseal vessels
Physis begings to breack down (close) and metaphyseal vessels cross again. Blood from 3 sources again possible lat epiphyseal, metaphyseal and lig teres.
From the conclusion of the paper:
1. The results of a study of the characteristics of the vessels found in forty-six human femoral
heads during the growth period are described.
2. Of the three different sources of blood entering the human adult femoral head it was found
that from birth to about three to four years the vessels of the ligamentum teres do not
contribute to the nourishment of the head.
3. After the fourth year the metaphysial vessels decrease in importance until they finally
disappear, leaving the head with only one source of blood through the lateral epiphysial
vessels; the ligamentum teres is not yet contributing to the circulation of the head.
4. After about eight or nine years it was found that the vessels of the ligamentum teres
contribute to the blood supply of the head while the metaphysial blood flow is still arrested.
5. Finally, at puberty, after a period of activity of the metaphysial vessels, epiphysial fusion
takes place, bringing together the three sources of blood characteristic of the adult.
This work would have been impossible without the help received from a number of workers who assisted me
CiteULike organises scholarly (or academic) papers or literature and provides bibliographic
(which means it makes bibliographies) for universities and higher education establishments.
It helps undergraduates and postgraduates. People studying for PhDs or in postdoctoral (postdoc) positions.
The service is similar in scope to EndNote or RefWorks or any other reference manager
like BibTeX, but it is a social bookmarking service for scientists and humanities researchers.