Image-guided transorbital roof craniotomy via a suprabrow approach: a surgical series of 72 patients.
Many subfrontal and orbitofrontal craniotomy techniques have been developed. We present our results with the transorbital roof craniotomy, a frontal craniotomy that incorporates the orbital roof and is performed via a suprabrow incision. This technique was used in 72 patients, primarily for tumor resection. Charts were retrospectively reviewed for all patients undergoing transorbital procedures. A total of 72 patients underwent 82 transorbital craniotomies from September 1995 to July 1999. The primary indication for the transorbital approach was mass lesion of the orbit, anterior fossa, or parasellar region. A total of 47 women and 25 men with a mean age of 53 years underwent 82 procedures. The primary pathological finding was meningioma, which occurred in 40 patients (55.6%), followed by craniopharyngioma (6.9%), pituitary macroadenoma (6.9%), schwannoma (5.5%), and hemangioma (5.5%). Simpson Grade I or II resection was achieved in 54% of patients, with Simpson Grade III to V resection achieved in the remaining 46%. Forty-one patients presented with visual loss in 43 cases, with 44.2% experiencing postoperative visual improvement, 46.5% remaining unchanged, and 9.3% worsening. Overall morbidity was 18.4%, with cerebrospinal fluid leak being the most common complication (6.6%). No patients died. The transorbital roof craniotomy is an evolutionary approach that provides excellent exposure to the orbit, anterior fossa, and parasellar region with little significant morbidity and, in our series, no mortality. Although we have used this approach primarily for resection of mass lesions, future directions for this procedure will likely lie in treating vascular lesions and lesions of the interpeduncular fossa.