Estrogen equivalent concentration of 13 branched para-nonylphenols in three technical mixtures by isomer-specific determination using their synthetic standards in SIM mode with GC–MS and two new diasteromeric isomers
Thirteen isomers of branched para-nonylphenols (para-NP) in three technical mixtures were isomer-specifically determined using their synthesized standards by SIM of structurally specific ions, m/z 135, 149 or 163 with GC–MS. Of the 13 isomers, four isomers, 4-(2,4-dimethylheptan-4-yl)phenol, 4-(4-methyloctan-4-yl)phenol, 4-(3-ethyl-2-methylhexan-2-yl)phenol (3E22NP) and 4-(2,3-dimethylheptan-2-yl)phenol synthesized for their determinations were first used as standard substances. The 13 isomers in the technical mixtures individually occurred at mass percent portion of more than 2%. The total mass percent portions in the mixtures from Tokyo Chemical Industry (TCI), Aldrich, and Fluka covered with 89 ± 2%, 75 ± 4% and 77 ± 2%, respectively. The abundance of 4-(3,6-dimethylheptan-3-yl)phenol in the three mixtures was the largest with 11.1 ± 2% to 9.9 ± 0.3%, while that of 4-(2-methyloctan-2-yl)phenol was the smallest with 2.9 ± 0.3% to 3.0 ± 0.2%. Additionally, structures of four new isomers of more than 1% portion present in a technical mixture were elucidated as two pairs of diastereomeric isomers: two types of 4-(3,4-dimethylheptan-4-yl)phenol (344NP) and those of 4-(3,4-dimethylheptan-3-yl)phenol (343NP). By estrogenic assay of 13 isomers with yeast estrogen screen system, the activity of 3E22NP was the highest, while that of 4-(3-methyloctan-3-yl)phenol was the least. Their relative activities to that of 3E22NP were individually calculated. Estrogenic equivalent concentrations of the three technical mixtures were predictively evaluated. The ratio of the EEC to the conventional concentration, total mass percent portions of the 13 isomers in technical mixtures were 0.208 for TCI, 0.206 for Aldrich and 0.205 for Fluka. The predicted estrogenic activity of measured concentration of para-NP in technical mixtures was approximately 5-fold greater than the measured estrogen agonist activity.